LU Treasure Hunt – On-Going Competition

lcdr Universe Forums General Discussion LU Treasure Hunt – On-Going Competition

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Warius 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

Welcome to this treasure-hunt! Your challenge is to tell me how many coins you’re going to earn from this!

I should say, a lot of this has maths popping up, but I don’t expect you to have any special maths skills for this – the maths things I talk about are solely for the sake of helping me jump between numbers, and you should be able to find the solutions to them relatively easily online.
    Once you find out the answer, send me a message on the lcdrU Discord, and I’ll let you know if you are right.
    Also, as a general rule for working on this, I tend to have confirmatory hints wherever possible so that once you’ve successfully reached the next stage of the process you’ll know.
    Depending on how easy people find this, I may extend this particular challenge to multiple stages.
    Anyway, let the games begin:

ORM… I’m not too certain how to begin this… I have a feeling when I start writing an introduction to this I’m just going to go back and forth, basically writing an Echo of my previous words. (my previous words…) Anyway, this should be a nice chance to get to know you lot, to branch out, to network! So, let’s hope some of you find yourselves a new problem solving record.

Time for some maths:
    Let n = the number of apples lcdr can make.
    Some people are of the Samurai, some of the Summoners, some are Marauding Engineers, but whose was the nth account on the forums of DLU? He is known to associate with the likes of @LULocale.

A little bird told me via this person about a failed attempt at reaching the world record for memorising pi.
    Multiply this pi by 187.5, and, rounding off this game, it’s back to the DLU forums with a topical challenge. Id take a close look at this one. Mail answers to number 24.
    Or we could round off with ‘pi’ multiplied by 46.6, as our topical challenge. (The number 17 may help you with this.) Id probably take a look at this one, too. Mail answers to number 266.
    (These two parts here can be solved in parallel, you can solve either or both of them to get you to the right place.)
    (Lots of numbers floating around here – don’t try multiplying or adding numbers together randomly – only multiply those you’re told to – there’s no hidden trick in multiplying different ones.)

I lied, we’re not quite done, though that last challenge may have been central to your progress.
    But, let’s get closer to home, can you find lcdr’s opinion?
    And what’s up with the next clue, it doesn’t look like it’s here? Are we nearly done, is it good news? Can you put a name to a face for me? Or, if not, maybe put a 4 digit number to a name?

This might be an interesting number… Or perhaps not. Time for some more maths. Let’s multiply this by ‘pi’. I’m sure you’ll come around to this style of question at some point.

Oh… Turns out it wasn’t that interesting a number.
    Sorry.
    All that was for nothing.
    Unless of course we give that number meaning.
    I know – that number could be your reward, in coins!
    Would that be a nice meaning for this number to have?

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by NinjaOfLU NinjaOfLU. Reason: Changed the definition of 'n', in the first part
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by NinjaOfLU NinjaOfLU.
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by NinjaOfLU NinjaOfLU. Reason: Added a bit of a hint
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by NinjaOfLU NinjaOfLU. Reason: Tried to make it clearer that you were multiplying by pi, not by the number of decimal places
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by NinjaOfLU NinjaOfLU. Reason: Added a small hint to one of the later steps
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by NinjaOfLU NinjaOfLU.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by NinjaOfLU NinjaOfLU. Reason: I'm an edgy teen
    NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

In response to what some people have said, so far:

The stuff not in italics is just normal introductory text. I am liable to have hidden clues anywhere in the italicised text, but the clues will always be clumped together – if you’re working on the first problem, for instance, there may be clues in the first paragraph, but nowhere lower down – and the same rule goes for the whole body of text.

Warius
    Participant

M
    M

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Warius.
    Madwolf236
    Madwolf236
    Participant

This is irritating.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

None of the letters are in bold, to clarify, that’s just the font being weird.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

For a bit of a clue to solving this, in general, look for weird turns of phrase I use, quite often there’s a hidden meaning in there. Double meanings of words are good, too.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

Challenges will always be contained to LEGO Universe related webpages which require no logins or accounts.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

Message me if you work out how many red bricks in an apple – I want to see how quickly people are advancing through these, and whether or not I need to give hints.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

The initial challenge has been edited in response to my misreading of a screenshot. For those of you who had worked out what ‘n’ was based on the previous hint, let me know, and I’ll give you a hint to this changed version.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

I should state this:
    The treasure hunt is linear; you should expect to use the previous answer to get the next bit.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

For my first hint:

ORM… I’m not too certain how to begin this… I have a feeling when I start writing an introduction to this I’m just going to go back and forth, basically writing an Echo of my previous words. (my previous words…) Anyway, this should be a nice chance to get to know you lot, to branch out, to network! So, let’s hope some of you find yourselves a new problem solving record.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

More hints, glorious hints:

1)
    The value of ‘n’ can be found on this website, without watching a video, or anything really difficult like that.

2)
    A little bird told me via this person about a failed attempt at reaching the world record for memorising pi.
    Multiply this pi by 187.5, and, rounding off this game, it’s back to the DLU forums with a topical challenge.
    Or we could round off with ‘pi’ multiplied by 46.6, as our topical challenge. (The number 17 may help you with this.)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by NinjaOfLU NinjaOfLU.
    NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

More hints, as requested:

1)
    Mine was the 2650th account to be registered with the DLU forums.

2)
    Just edited part of the text to recommend you take a close look on the DLU at the topical challenges.

NinjaOfLU
    NinjaOfLU

Ok, so. A partial prize here goes to Warguy – Lord of Warius. He did not manage to complete the treasure hunt (which turned out to be a lot harder for people than I expected), but he got the furthest by a long margin. So, what was going on here?

“ORM… I’m not too certain how to begin this…”
    Step 1, when you’re not certain on how to begin this, or any future thing I do, may well me to just Google the words which seem out of place, together with the topic. Had you Googled “ORM lcdr Universe”, the first two results would have put you onto lcdr’s MLN blog post.

“I have a feeling when I start writing an introduction to this I’m just going to go back and forth, basically writing an Echo of my previous words. (my previous words…)”
    For those of you who don’t know, Echo was a bot in My LEGO Network (anyone in the LUCH should recognise it). Again, hinting at something to do with MLN on a LU-based website.

“Anyway, this should be a nice chance to get to know you lot, to branch out, to network!”
    Another odd-turn of phrase. For pretty much every time I phrase something weirdly, I’ve shoehorned in a keyword.

“So, let’s hope some of you find yourselves a new problem solving record.”
    If you did look for a record (i.e. recording) of problem solving, where better to look than a dev blog.

“Time for some maths:
    Let n = the number of apples lcdr can make.”
    I’m finally getting onto the next step, here. Scroll through lcdr’s blog post and you find screenshots of MLN, one of them showing lcdr having 45 red bricks, and able to build 45 red apples.

“Some people are of the Samurai, some of the Summoners, some are Marauding Engineers,”
    This was basically to let people check they’d gotten the next step right. Jonny’s account on the DLU forums has very few posts, and in one of those posts he lists his mains as belonging to those classes. But how did you know to go to Jonny’s account.

“But whose was the nth account on the forums of DLU?”
    This is a nice trick, and what I was hinting at with the ‘my account was the 2650th account on DLU’. Had you clicked on my account, you would have gone to this URL: ‘https://www.darkflameuniverse.org/user/view/2650’. Had you set that number to 45, you would have found the 45th account on DLU: Jonny’s.

“He is known to associate with the likes of @LULocale.”
    This was partially here to let people check, but also to hint that Twitter might be a place to go for this next step.

“A little bird”
    Another Twitter hint.

“told me via this person about a failed attempt at reaching the world record for memorising pi.”
    Via Jonny’s Twitter, look for something about pi. It would have taken a bit of scrolling, but you would have found a post by the user ‘Sir Michael’ (https://twitter.com/michael1979/status/1086358582952632320?lang=en).

“Multiply this pi by 187.5, and, rounding off this game,”
    The hunt evidently doesn’t end here, so rounding off takes the alternate meaning of rounding off 187.5*3.11: 583. The maths was always intended to help me get from number to number, not to make you have to work it out by hand or anything.

“it’s back to the DLU forums with a topical challenge.”
    Topical. The hint being there, to look at the topics and threads.

“Id take a close look at this one.”
    If I make a typo like that and don’t mean to, I correct it before anyone sees. Slightly offended people might have thought it was a typo! 😛 In any event, this puts you onto the idea of an ID. Now, you could have searched for ID 583 by trying loads of threads, but there’s a neat trick here. The DLU website doesn’t care about the name of the thread in the URL box, only about the ID. So you could have gone on any thread, such as “https://www.darkflameuniverse.org/community/1-general-discussion/4-NinjaIsEpic”, and changed the number to “https://www.darkflameuniverse.org/community/1-general-discussion/583-NinjaIsEpic”. Which would put you onto “https://www.darkflameuniverse.org/community/1-general-discussion/583-which-rare-items-to-you-want-to-obtain-in-dlu”.

“Mail answers to number 24.”
    Mail was something of a last ditch attempt to get people onto the word ‘post’, but I don’t think anyone other than Warguy made it this far anyway, and it wasn’t a very good hint. Fortunately you could have just read through the thread to find the hint. You’ll be surprised to know it was another out of place typo (in bold, or something, from memory). (If you did get this far, contact me, and I have ways to verify if you did or not). That got you “LUC”.

“Or we could round off with ‘pi’ multiplied by 46.6, as our topical challenge. (The number 17 may help you with this.) Id probably take a look at this one, too. Mail answers to number 266.”
    Thread ID 145, Page 17, Post 266.
    Post 266 included the phrase “You can’t work 24/7, how do you relax, when not programming?”

Either of the above clues could have been enough to get you to the LUC, a defunct LU blog.

“I lied, we’re not quite done, though that last challenge may have been central to your progress.”
    Just to make sure anyone on the right lines knew it.

“But, let’s get closer to home, can you find lcdr’s opinion?”
    That was there to make it clearer it was lcdr’s opinion referenced in my DLU post.

“And what’s up with the next clue, it doesn’t look like it’s here? Are we nearly done, is it good news?”
    This was meant to be the tough one, and to be fair, it’s where even Warguy gave up. But there’s a breaking news bar on the top of the page, used to make announcements. And it’s something of a hint that “311/10 people surveyed” is not an actual statistic, but another reference to 3.11 just so that people knew they were still on the right tracks.

“Can you put a name to a face for me? Or, if not, maybe put a 4 digit number to a name?”
    This was hard. The banner uses the phrase “LUServer”, which I don’t think I’ve ever really seen anyone use aside from one place. If you Google lcdr, LUServer, and issues, you can find the testing bug report page for lcdrU. The answer to life the universe and everything is 42, (as referenced in the banner, and you’re also told that is the issue). If you go to the 42nd issue, you find a user by the name of Liam posting a bug report. His is the only name there. The 4 digit number is then the last bit of the challenge. It seems to no longer be possible, but until about a month ago, it was still possible to find out Liam’s BitBucket/Atlassian full account name, which was the final clue. Just checked, and it still is possible: Liam3997.

“This might be an interesting number… Or perhaps not. Time for some more maths. Let’s multiply this by ‘pi’. I’m sure you’ll come around to this style of question at some point.”
    Multiplying by 3.11 and rounding gives 12431.

“Oh… Turns out it wasn’t that interesting a number.
    Sorry.
    All that was for nothing.
    Unless of course we give that number meaning.
    I know – that number could be your reward, in coins!
    Would that be a nice meaning for this number to have?”
    In other words, the reward for completing it first was to be 12431 coins.

I’ve learnt multiple lessons from this. Firstly, wait until more people are active before trying to run something like this, and secondly, to test things through first. I did make a couple of errors, and some hints were added afterwards to make things easier. Part of the reason I am publishing the solution to this, though, is so that you understand how almost every sentence hides a hint, and so that if we ever do this again, you know some of the cool tricks on BitBucket and the DLU forums.
    Part of this also was in the hope that you’d discover parts of the community you’d never seen before. Things as varied as the FBSE, or BitBucket. Or Sir Michael’s Twitter account.

Warius
    Participant

Big Pogger right here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.