When I was working on the MLN server, one thing that made development much easier is that the lowest levels were automatically taken care of, as much of the work had already been done by the TCP and HTTP protocols. In contrast, my work on the LU server has led to me having to start at the bottom and implement the RakNet protocol, which takes the role of TCP in LU’s networking. My experience with the MLN server got me thinking that perhaps it was possible to redesign LU’s networking so that the benefits of MLN’s networking could also be applied to LU. This is what led me to develop a new network layer that I’ve now finished work on.
Update: The restoration project now has a discord, which you can join to stay updated about progress and talk about MLN in general: https://discordapp.com/invite/VGYgExX
So, by now it’s been three months since the alpha started. Time for some updates on what’s happened in the last three months.
This is just going to be a pretty technical short summary about what we’ve been doing this month. Don’t expect any big announcements here, think of it more as a “behind the scenes” look at what we’ve been working on. Server development is just one of multiple things we do, so there’s more than that listed here.
We’ve finally gotten around to launching a website. So far we’ve focused on server development, but now we’re ready for a public-facing display. There’s project info, FAQ, media and ingame screenshots, and what I’m looking towards most, forums, which brings our project one step closer to being a complete community. And of course there’s also this dev blog, where we’ll be posting longer updates & announcements, as well as some write-ups about the internals of LU. (For shorter updates check our twitter as well).